Monday, November 06, 2006

Mount Cameroon Training

Pete and I are going to be chaperones for the Mount Cameroon Trek. It is in February, but we have to get ready now. Yesterday we hiked with the kids up to Mount Febe at 7:00. We actually had more adults than kids. Did I mention the American Embassador brought his dog Justin? Oh, yes dahhhling, we certainly do rub elbows with the up and up here. Actually his wife has summited Mt. Cam. before, he hasn't, but plans to this year.
I am taking French lessons and so far our driver Jean only laughs when I truly butcher a word. It is so hard when you can't understand someone, especially when they are driving your car and hold your life in their hands! Even as I type this I am in the teacher workroom and several local hire teachers are in here, yacking away in French. I mean, how bizarre is that? Just an everyday, common occurence.
We are hoping to go away for Thanksgiving, despite being able to order special turkeys for the day. Turkeys are not grown here, kind of like eating ostrich in the US I guess. Claudette, our fearless leader, is organizing a trip North, to Bamenda. We are going to hike to some waterfalls, see some palaces, and an artisian village that specializes in pottery. No exact plans for Christmas yet. It looks like just Pete and I are going to try to got to Limbe, which is the black volcanic sand beach. Mt. Cameroon is there so we are going to try to hike it on our own. Well, not exactly on our own-- you have to hire sherpa type people to transport all the food/water and act as guides. It's not wussing out--it's being smart and helping the local economy.
******Seeing as it takes a month to get mail, now would be a good time to send us our Christmas cards so I don't do a tailspin into depression-hint, hint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home