Saturday, March 01, 2008

Wednesday Night


We had to use our emergency phone trees to let our students know that school was cancelled Thursday. In amongst those phone calls we got calls about what was going on in town. No gas, food shortages, and violence. There were gun shots heard in our neighborhood while were at school.
The strike was now becoming about criminals taking advantage of the situation. Banditry was being reports. Tha night one of my student's family was attacked in their home by men with machettes and guns. Luckily the kids and wife barricaded themselves in while the guard and Dad held the men at bay. Their panic button was tripped, the police arrived and the two attackers were killed. We were so freaked out we set up booby traps around our apartment. We live in a compound, with huge walls and barbed wire, but the guards here make next to nothing and are definately not going to imperil their own lives to save ours.
The embassy was now recommending we pack emergency bags. The ridiculous in me wanted to pick all my beautiful dresses I have gotten made. The realistic in me thought about what I would need if we have to be "refugees" for a bit. Our bag is not all the way packed, but we have all our important documents, clothes and toiletrees ready.
We got very little rest Wednesday night.

Meredith and Adrianna came up to play cards/watch videos. I was already in my pajamas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home